Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Vibes: American University

I'm a HORRIBLE blogger. There were so many things I could have ranted about, such as my first (and last) homecoming dance, my first trip to NYC, my school struggles, the pretty sights I've been seeing this fall (I swear I've seen the prettiest foliage this year...I love fall!!), the annoying college process. The list goes on and on and on...

But tonight, I will post about the vibes I got from my visit to American University, a private university in D.C., and also the only private school I'm applying to (price IS important).

Enjoy and read analytically!


Why AU? Awesome communications and study abroad program, location (beautiful suburban D.C.), size (medium sized)
I'm interested in... SOC- school of communications
Yikes ! AU estimates that the price for a full time undergrad for 1 year is about $40,000 + (tuition+room/meal+other expenses)
BUT their financial aid dept. has a good rep and they make sure their students don't run into any administrative problems (we're talking faculty and student advisors that are easily accessible)
They're so D.C... The overwhelming majority of students here are enthusiastic about politics, extremely driven, and competitive. They are also white...and rich.

Alas, another rainy day (perhaps this is a sign???). Yet the rain didn't detract from the beauty of the campus at all. Even driving there was a sight to see, as we drove by Embassy Row and the residential area of upper class D.C. Upon entering the actual campus, I was attracted to the abundance of beautiful trees and very elegant buildings. My tour guide, Nadia, described AU as the best of the worlds, and I agree. It's a college nestled in residential D.C., and a shuttle and metro ride away to the more city like D.C.

Most kids dressed casually and some girls donned colorful rain boots ( I need to get myself a pair). To sound stereotypical and shallow, the students looked like the politically oriented, studious, intellectual people they probably are. There are many more girls than guys, and there is a strong gay community. I feel a teeny bit out of place because politics confuses me (well, not the actual process itself, but the issues, which takes tons of research to truly understand). I feel like a complete slacker compared to them. In the info session alone, I was intimidated. This one senior from D.C. said his school required the completion of 1 internship - he had 5. A junior from New Hampshire volunteered on various political campaigns. Even the parents were asking questions like they were journalists on a mission. Will I rise to the challenge or blend in the background next to these ambitious students?

Why so serious?

I was surprised to see that not many people were wearing AU apparel, but the tour guide was very excited about their basketball team (they have no football team). Again, sports don't really mean much to me, but I do appreciate good school spirit. I think I'd have fun watching a basketball game here, but I do wonder how spirited AU actually is.


A view of AU's pool. Access to their nice gym is free, but it ought to be for their sticker price.

some students (mostly female) in one of the cafeterias

Dorm life here is comparable to College Park and UMBC (i.e. community bathrooms), but they have a really nice closet system/arrangement of furniture going on here.


If College Park and American were the same price, I think I'd still go to College Park. American is wonderful, but it seems...older, too refined for the state of mind I'm in right now. Maybe when I'm older.

No comments:

Post a Comment